Lets see how we can install/config remote printer :
- Make sure cup daemon is running
- /etc/init.d/cups restart , u can check by ps -eaf | grep cup
- Add printer from System-->Administration-->printing
- Select valid driver/model. General linux printer driver list/ dtd file list comprise most of standard printers. If some printer name is not available, select closed cousin of it. Eg HP Deskjet 5500 is not present in FC6, select Deskjet 3300. It works !
- Select host-name (ip addr) of printer machine. Put port 9100 as its default port.
- Device URL should look like socket://<-ip->:9100
- Do finish once u see correct URL.
- Try printing test page
- Wow ! It works!!!
I got +ve results on FC6 on Dell D520 and CentOS 5.0 on Dell D630
Problems welcome !!!