Another post on linux after long time.
My friend Chinmay had issue with RealTek NIC on FC8. This guy had already destroyed 2 NIC on same machine. After opening the box, he placed the NIC on 2nd Ethernet slot on mother board. Rebooting machine didn't showed the eth1.
Followed the below steps to add the device :
1. First command to run after new h/w addition in any linux box : kudzu
2. kudzu detected the Ethernet card and added it in but couldn't show it when seen with ifconfig as eth1 config file was not on place.
3. I checked MAC of card with ifconfig -a , device was with name tmp_sakjdh132 ..
4. Created copy of eth0 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcnf-eth0.conf to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcnf-eth1.conf
5. Changes MAC in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcnf-eth1.conf .
6. /etc/init.d/network restart solved all issue.
ifconfig showed eth1 with valid IP
Thats all !
Chinmay was than back to work. Trying to damage 3rd NIC card on his machine ;)